Somebody owes me money and will not pay me – What do I do?

  • Blog
  • Somebody owes me money and will not pay me – What do I do?
View All Articles

Scroll for more

If you are owed money there are various measures that you can take to recover it. These measures depend on whether or not an individual or company owes you the money. If an individual owes you money the best initial step to take is to issue a letter of demand to that individual. The letter of demand should be carefully drafted and clearly outline the debt that is due and owing and the reason why it is due and owing.

If a letter of demand is not responded to or is not responded to favourably then, once the time period stipulated in the letter of demand expires, you are then within your rights to commence proceedings against the individual that owes you money in either the Magistrates Court, District Court or Supreme Court.

The Court that you commence proceedings in will be determined by the amount of money you are owed. If you are owed between $0.00 and $150,000.00 you will commence proceedings in the Magistrates Court. If you are owed between $150,000.00 and $750,000.00 you will commence proceedings in the District Court and if you are owed over $750,000.00 you will commence proceedings in the Supreme Court.

The alternative to the above course of action, exists only if a company owes you money, is instead of issuing a letter of demand and/or commencing proceedings you can issue what is known as the Creditor’s Statutory Demand to a company. A Creditor’s Statutory Demand has to be in the correct form as prescribed by the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).

Once a Creditor’s Statutory Demand is issued if a period of 21 days expires from the date that the Creditor’s Statutory Demand is issued, and payment is not made in this time and/or an application is not made to set aside the Creditor’s Statutory Demand, then the company that the Creditor’s Statutory Demand is issued to is deemed to have committed an act of insolvency.
You can then apply to the Supreme Court of Queensland to place that company into liquidation.

Companies will typically, do everything in their power to make payment if it is a possibility that their company will be placed into liquidation. This is due to the fact that once a company is placed into liquidation a liquidator will have control over the entirety of the company’s assets.

Similarly if you have commenced proceedings against an individual as outlined above and you obtain a judgment against that individual which states that the individual owes you an amount of $5,000.00 or more you can issue a bankruptcy notice to the individual. The bankruptcy notice is issued by the Australian Financial Security Authority.

Once an individual receives a bankruptcy notice that individual has a period of 21 days to either pay or make application to set aside the bankruptcy notice. If the individual does not attend to this that individual is deemed to have committed an act of bankruptcy.

Proceedings can then be commenced in the Federal Circuit Court to place that individual into bankruptcy.

Individuals will typically do everything in their power to make payment if it is a possibility that they will be placed into bankruptcy. This is due to the fact that once you are placed into bankruptcy a trustee in bankruptcy has control over the entirety of your assets.

If you have any questions regarding anything above, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

The information provided in this article is for general information and educative purposes in summary form on legal topics which is current at the time it is published. The content does not constitute legal advice or recommendations and should not be relied upon as such. Whilst every care has been taken in the preparation of this article, FC Lawyers cannot accept responsibility for any errors, including those caused by negligence, in the material. We make no representations, statements or warranties about the accuracy or completeness of the information and you should not rely on it. You are advised to make your own independent inquiries regarding the accuracy of any information provided on this website. FC Lawyers does not guarantee, and accepts no legal responsibility whatsoever arising from or in connection to the accuracy, reliability, currency, correctness or completeness of any material contained in this article. Links to third party websites or articles does not constitute any endorsement or approval of those sites or the owners of those sites. Nothing in this article should be construed as granting any licence or right for you to use that content. You should consult the third party’s terms and conditions of use in relation to any third-party content. FC Lawyers disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including liability for negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur as a result of the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way. Appropriate legal advice should always be obtained in actual situations.


Prefer to get in touch?

With offices in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Sydney, our team is well equipped to provide both advice and support across a broad range of legal areas.

Free call 1800 640 509
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.