Intellectual Property (IP) refers to creations of the mind: inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce. Company names, business names and domain names are not IP. While Company, business and domain names are not IP, they are still important for a business to protect, as they form part of its identity, reputation and brand.
IP is categorised into:
- Industrial property, which includes inventions, trademarks, industrial designs, and geographic indications of source; and
- Copyright, which includes literary and artistic works such as novels, poems and plays, films, musical works, artistic works such as drawings, paintings, photographs and sculptures, and architectural designs. Rights related to copyright include those of performing artists in their performances, producers of phonograms in their recordings, and those of broadcasters in their radio and television programs.
It is essential that the IP of your business is protected. Often this can be one of the most valuable assets of a business. It is important to consider before setting up a business (domains, website branding, logos, icons, company names etc) to ensure that the name/s you want are still available and no one else has anything similar.
Our team are experts in providing advice to clients on all aspects of intellectual property law and regularly act on behalf of clients to register and protect their intellectual property.
Our Intellectual Property experience includes:
- Due diligence and intellectual property audits;
- facilitating the establishment of copyright,
- defending alleged infringements;
- intellectual property rights and enforcement;
- licensing agreements;
- trademark protection,
- distribution agreements;
- cease and desist actions;
- manufacturing agreements;
- design registration, transfer and licensing;
- structuring of property assets;
- restraint of trade;
- copyright infringements;
- confidentiality agreements;
- non-disclosure agreements; and
- expansion of business into and out of Australia.
We have conducted cases in various jurisdictions both in Australia and overseas to protect our clients IP assets when they have been challenged. Our team is here to protect your valuable business assets.
The FC Lawyers business services team will clearly outline our fee structure and will provide you with a fixed quote whilst acting in your best interests.
Contact our team today to discuss your Intellectual Property legal matters.