Our Blog

At fc lawyers we’re strong believers in giving back, we believe that we need to take an active role in the greater community to help create a better world for not just us, but everyone. Scroll down and see how we are continually engaging in the community to make a true difference.

working safely from home business law employment lawyers queensland australia

Working Safely From Home

I recently read an interesting article in the Financial Review on the hidden costs of working from home. The article by Fiona Carruthers detailed the problems which Telstra faced just…

Read more
director personal liability insolvent trading company lawyer insolvency business law legal advice queensland brisbane sunshine coast

Insolvent Trading and Directors Personal Liability for it

I have had many clients in this current economic climate approach me, who are concerned about whether their company is trading insolvent, and their personal liability that may arise from…

Read more
capital gains tax hybrid trust agreement queensland lawyers brisbane sunshine coast

Key Personal Capital Insurance and Capital Gains Tax

I recently was invited to speak at the Business and Estate Planning Specialists annual conference in Cairns. One issue raised, was whether there was any way to limit exposure to Capital…

Read more
business will estate planning lawyers queensland legal advice buy sell option estate law

What is a Business Will? Here is the answer!

I recently met with a client and their Accountant to discuss some business succession issues. One of the questions I asked was what happens to the business if one of…

Read more
workplace health and safety whs occupation health and safety ohs safe work australia employment lawyers queensland brisbane sunshine coast legal

Work Health and Safety – Company Directors Getting Ready for the New Laws

Australia has 10 different laws relating to Occupational Health and Safety. This will change on 1 January 2012 with the introduction of the Work Health and Safety Act. The Federal…

Read more
Personal Property Securities Register retention of assets ROT clause PPSR personal assets personal properties security register australian business registered assets lawyers queensland brisbane sunshine coast

The Personal Property Securities Act – important changes for businesses supplying goods on credit

Businesses and individuals that provide finance secured by personal property, or who supply goods on a retention of title (ROT) basis, should be aware of the introduction of the Personal…

Read more
corporate governance director duties business lawyers company structures structuring law corporations queensland australia

Corporate Governance and Directors Duties

I recently met with a client who was the sole director of a company turning over in excess of $10 million dollars. There were 9 shareholders in total, with my…

Read more
related party transactions company law business lawyers liquidation administration debt assets queensland brisbane australia

Related Party Transactions

I had a meeting with a client last week that highlighted to me the importance of understanding your obligations when dealing with related parties of your company. This client was…

Read more
business wills succession planning estate lawyers queensland brisbane sunshine coast australia

Business Wills – Failing to Execute

I recently spoke with a colleague who relayed a tale of woe about a business owner he knew who passed away recently. About 5 years ago the deceased (Partner A)…

Read more
asset protection business structuring law company loans lawyers australia queensland brisbane

Asset Protection for your Business

I was recently invited to sit on Your Business Panel. The panel was put together with the objective of assisting business owners by providing expert advice from different professions, in…

Read more
partnerships breach of duty employment lawyers queensland commercial law sunshine coast brisbane legal advice

Partnerships – Breach of Duty

I recently was involved in a case where I acted for a partner of a business (90% ownership) who had experienced considerable angst when the other partner (owning a 10% interest)…

Read more
retail shop lease act ratchel clause commercial leasing rent provisions business lawyers queensland landlords property law brisbane sunshine coast

The End of Ratchet Clauses – Amendments to the Retail Shop Leases Act

Rent payable by a Lessee in a retail shop lease can now decrease at a market review. A clause in a lease which prevents the lease decreasing is commonly known…

Read more